Friday, June 26, 2009

It's official. I am a racer.

I am a racer, but let me clarify. I am not a runner. 1 year ago, I decided that I wanted to become a runner. I watched Julie run and do well in races. I figured I had better start running. I hate running. So John and I started training. Only problem was my heart. I had to get a hole fixed first. Then it was way too freaking cold to run outside and I don't have (nor do I really want) a treadmill. Fast forward a bit, John's hurt knee = surgery, no running for him. Now I am by myself. I have convinced some family members to run with me, but training is all by myself. We got a membership to the local rec center and I went running 4-6 times a week. Yeah me, right? Well, I still hate it. I thought training would make me be able to run more and possibly enjoy it. Nope. Still hate it. I would have quit, but I my kids knew I wanted to run in the West Fest 5 k and I didn't want them to see me quit. So I persisted. When we were up in Rexburg, there was a 1 mile fun run at the Teton Dam Race. (Yes, I just said Dam race. That is totally what it was.) I ran it with James (8) Hyrum (8) Ethan (8) Brett (14) Dylan (16) Wes (12) Ian (5) Spencer (11) Zach (15) Laura, Denise, Doug, Brian and My Dad.
Here we are getting ready. My fabulous husband took all the pictures. He knows how much I love pictures.

And we were off.

Yep, still hating it.

Go guys go!!!
At the finish line

Brett took a leisurely stroll across the finish line. Checking out for any cute dam volunteers. (I am not swearing, they are the ones that had it across the backs of their shirts. ;) Note the guy in the orange shirt on the left side of the picture.)

Spencer and Brian rocked it. The funny thing is that the race wasn't well marked, so the fast family members actually went too far. I guess the mayor had to stop running to make sure everyone knew where to turn so little kids were not running on a main road. Yes, there are a few main roads in rexburg. So all these boys from my family really ran to far. ha ha and they still totally beat me. ha ha on me.

Dylan looking ever so hansome

Wes was happy. I have no idea how he can run with a smile on his face.

There is Laura who said, "I haven't run in 20 years, sure I'll run the race," and then totally annilate you with a smile on my face! She kicked my butt.

AWWWW greeting mom at the end.

Ethan and James finished next.

yes, james is finishing with his hands in his pockets, that is just so wrong.
John didn't get a good picture of Hyrum and Denise finishing. Hyrum was a bit upset because he had an asthma attack so Denise stopped with him, but James and Ethan didn't so they finished first. He was hoping they would wait with him.

I refuse to show the picture of me finishing because I look like I died. Yes, that is me hunched over. I barely made it over the finish line. See, I was running next to my dad and for some reason competition kicked in. Which is really wierd for me since I am not very competitive. So the good daughter would have grabbed his hand and finished together, but what did I do? I kicked it into gear and barely beat him. There was no way I was letting a 61 year old man beat me!
P.s. it turns out that I was running with broncitis and a sinus infection. So I am blaming my lack of oxygen, weezing, and a horrible picture on being sick.

Doug pushed the stroller in case he got tired and Ian had to help him across the finish line. ha ha.

Yeah for the 3 musketeers.

Here we are all at the dam race. (ha ha, I just wanted to write that again.)

We looked very offical with numbers pinned to our shirts.


Running take 2
We went to Clarkston for their pony express day to run in their 5K. This was my first official long race. I was armed with my antibiotics and an inhaler from the lovely doctor and I was set.
Ethan, Becca, Cassie, James, Jason and Annie ran in a 1 mile fun run at the same time.

Yeah for Ethan!!!!!!

Go Becca, beat that little boy. ha ha She was running with Jason for a while but then traded off with Cassie and James, they stayed back with him. Jason wasn't quite sure what he was doing. We just told him to run.

Yes, Annie is racing with sandals. There is no fighting her about her clothes. I tried to get her to wear tennis shoes, but after 30 mins of tears (hers) and frustration (mine) I gave in and let her wear sandals.

Here come the 3 and they weren't last!! yeah them.

Woot Woot The racers.

Here is stupid Brian that says, "Oh, I fixed my heart and now I could run forever! I feel great." Yeah, well, I fixed my heart and still about keeled over, so there.

Go cousin Todd. He was super fast.

Speaking of super fast, here is Uncle Marvin. He was a speed demon. When I told him I was going to run in West Fest, he invited me to this race. I was really glad I ran it. It was super fun.

There is Dylan still looking oh so studly. This brat was running with me for a while. Not even winded when I was nearing passing out. Then he took off and ended way before me.

I was running with Sarah and Denise there at the end, but they could kick it into a higher gear when they saw the finish line. Unfortunely, I could not. Yeah for them.

Yeah, the big giant clown finished. I did it in 40 mins and 47 seconds. But I finished it and I wasn't even last. There was still a handful of people to finish.

My mom and Uncle Darryl weren't the last people either. There was still 1 person behind them. But yeah, they crossed the finish line. I was so proud of everyone. We did our best.

Here we are. Yeah for us.

Running take 3
Now this weekend, I will run in the West Fest 5 k. That is the race that started all of this running. I will be running alone, but I will do it. I might be the last person, but someone has to come in last. But I will have completed my goal and I will never run again, not even if I am being chased, I will not run.

3 comments:

Chris 'n Leah said...

YEAH for you!!! You are braver than I am. I am a walker not a runner. I think it's awesome you gave it shot and completed your goal. And I think it's even neater that your family did it with you.
Way to go everyone!

Anonymous said...

Power to you! I ran for the first time today after baby and feel like a huge wuss, so right now you could kick my can! :-)

Claudine said...

I just think it's great that you get to call your first race a DAM race!! I think you enjoyed that a little bit too much!!! Can't wait to hear how the race went this weekend. I'm so proud of you! And I'm not jealous at all! I'll just sit on my butt and eat chips and watch a video of it sometime, K??? :)