One of these days, I will maybe, possibly, get caught up on blogging. I missed Thanksgiving and we have been doing some fun things. But on to more disgusting topics. Last Thursday, John had to go back and have his knee scoped. It had been bothering him for a while and it was good thing he did because there was one of the biggest pieces of scar tissue the doctor had seen, (from John's last surgery. Doctor said it happenes to 3 or 4 out of every 100 knee surgeries) that was causing all the problems. As soon as the doctor broke it up to get it out, they straightened his leg out. That was something he has not been able to do for quite a while now. Kim took my 4 little ones during the day then after choir took them over to the 4 big ones for Becca to babysit until we were to get home a little later. Unfortunately, John did not agree with that. His blood pressure was having problems. It went really high, they gave him meds for it and then it dropped too low and caused his nervous system to do something wierd so they kept him for a while longer. He finally was able to go. Poor Becca was stuck with the kids forever, but what do you do? She did great. She shut the little ones and herself into Mia's bedroom so they could play while she read and did her homework It took me a while to clean up that room, but it was worth it. It is nice to have a responsible child. Izzie came over and helped her get dinner for all the kids. (Cassie did also help and is great to lend a hand. I can't leave her out.) We got home close to 7 after we dropped his prescriptions at a drive thru walmart pharmacy. I got him in bed. Mia was funny, the situation wierded her out and she wanted nothing to do with him. Like he cared though, he just wanted to sleep. So Becca and Cassie were left to get the kids in bed while I went to get his meds and ice. (Yes we have lived in this house for 2 1/2 years and we haven't hooked up the water and ice to the fridge. So what, we are still good people, just a little lazy.) At walmart, I brought both insurances info because after his last surgery, our part of his meds were $80ish and I didn't want the hassle of getting reimbersed. It took the pharmacist over 30 mins. to figure out the secondary insurance had his prescriptions as priamary insurance. Well, to make a long story short, I waited for over 30 mins. to save $2. That was so awesome. That made me so happy. (that would be me being sarcastic.)
I picked up a few groceries while I was there getting his ice. I went through the self scanner thinking that would save time, but it would not recognized that I put my eggs in the bag. I guess it wanted me to slam them down. Now I am going off on a tangent. Sorry, needless to say, it was a very rough and long day.
Here is is knee once again. Looks alot better than the last surgery, don't you think? He did get shaved again. I think that is funny. He ends up looking like he has furry socks on. Ha ha.
Now fast forward past the weekend (it was pretty busy, maybe, possibly will post pictures later.)
I do a meal exchange with some other ladies. We each make 8 of the same meal and we get together and swap and we come away with 8 different freezer meals. I love it. It has worked out so well for us. I always have something ready to thaw and eat. No need to come up with food ideas all the time. One family dropped out so I made 2 meals this month and I get 16 meals. Well, to be prepared, I made one meal before Johns surgery. Then on Sunday, I made a big batch of homemade spaghetti . Monday started our big nutcracker week. So right before dress rehersal Becca, Cassie, and Triniti were helping me open the big #10 cans of tomato sauce so I could get the spaghetti simmering. I went to push open on the the cans lids and I cut my thumb on it. It was one of those moments you know it is bad before you even look. Here is our conversation:
Me: "girls, I cut my finger, it is pretty bad." rush to the sink to put it under water
Cassie: eyes wide open because she saw it all including the blood spurt.
Me: "Ouch, can someone grab me a paper towel?"
Becca: "Here you go. Mom, you are going white, you better sit down."
Triniti: "Maybe you should lay down."
Me: Slides to the floor, "you had better call daddy I don't feel very well."
Becca: gets phone and calls John. "Dad, mom is going to pass out. She cut her finger."
John: "Do you need to call an ambulance?" (This question freaked Becca out the most. I wasn't any where near needing one, but the fact that I might have, scared her. The cut wasn't horrible, just deep and for as clumsy as I am, I don't get hurt very often. My last stitches were when I was 3. I fell off a moving van's ramp and cut my head open. So, yes, maybe I was a bit dramatic, but hey, I am still a good person)
Becca: "Mom, do you need an ambulance?"
Me: "No. Just tell him to get home."
I guess I will stop there. I was supposed to take Marlie (Triniti's sister) to dance and I panicked and didn't think we could get the kids to practice so I had Triniti call and get her grandma to take Marlie. Which turned out to be mess since she was taking her to the wrong place. We ended up working it out. We had Sammy rush over to sit with the little girls plus James and we left to drop the other 5 off at the high school. It is a good thing that Becca has been doing the Nutcracker since she was 3 so she knew what to do. I still can't believe we just dropped them off, but we had no other choice. I am thankful for the Crosbys who always step up when we need help. They always seem to bail us out. Jonh hurried me to the instacare. Getting my thumb numbed was one of the most painful things I have done. I wanted to punch the stupid doctor. But he did tell me I didn't have to do dishes for a week! Then 5 stitches later and a 10 year old nurse doing a comedy act trying to get guaze wrapped around it. We could go. (Did I mention that I had to get a tetnis shot? That hurt too.) After the 10 year old gave me a shot, she asked if the doctor said we could go. I looked over at my thumb still on the little table, and I was dripping blood. "Yeah idiot, let me drip blood all the way home." She put gauze on the stitches and was trying to wrap another piece around it and it was just swinging around my finger, so John had to go help her. Then she got the kind of tape you are supposed to rip and she was trying to cut it with sissors. That wasn't working. John tried to help her again. She ended up getting all tangled up with the tape like my 2 year old does. Then had to go get a different type of tape. It was such a joke. John was laughing, but I was not amused. I had a hard time stopping bleeding since I am on blood thinners. What a mess. We went home. Sammy helped get the girls to bed and John went back and got kids. We got everyone to bed and being the procrastinators that we are had $30 of Kohls Cash. And being the parents of 6 kids, we try to be thrifty, so we went shopping. John with his limp from surgery and me holding up a bloody hand. We were quite a site. So, there you have it. Was it worth reading all the way down this page? That turned out to be a long blog, sorry. Hope you enjoyed. Oh, here is the PG 13 part.
The end. John threw out the tomato sauce in case I bled in to it. The next day, I very carefully took the little girls to Costco and got lasagna and rhodes rolls to pass out for the dinner exchange. I felt bad doing that, but I was in no mood to cook 5 more meals. And I was not about to open anymore giant cans.
The first moral of my story is when you were little and your mom told you to be careful opening cans, she was right, they can cut you.
The second moral of my story is trying to cut your finger off just to get out of dishes for a week is not worth it. (Especially today in the land of dishwashers. It is easy to do dishes one handed. Bummer.)
P.S. I named this post what I did because John and I were laughing, wondering who would get to take pain pills that night since we both couldn't be out of it. Who was supposed to take care of who? Actually, neither of us did drug up, but we both could have. We were a disaster. His knee is doing much better now, as long as he doesn't step funny on it, it feels better then before surgery. Yeah.
P.P.S. Just thought you would like to know that my arm still hurts from the stupid shot. Stupid shots.




5 comments:
Wow!! Loved the story...hated the pictures! Although, I appreciated the rating warning. I'll remember to not try to get out of the dishes that way. I think going into the bathroom for 30-45 mintues is just as effective and a lot less money!!!
Oops...I guess this was signed into Wes' account. But, it is really your sister!
No fun! I sliced one of my fingers 6 years ago and it is amazing how it affects the whole hand and is hard to do anything with one hand really comfortably! I also got a tetnis shot and was later doing some research that said that is pointless to do after the cut, it has no effect! And it hurt for a week bad! So I wont be updating my tetnis if I get cut again!
The story was just as good the second time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I agree with your sister, loved the story, hated the pictures! It looks so painful! I am glad you put that part in about what your mother taught you. I think there were a few more things I taught you that you didn't listen to either! :)
Who gets to take the pain pills indeed??? That is one crazy tale...and I can't beleive you still bought dinner for the dinner group after all that! You really are super mom!
Once my older sister cut her had on a glass that broke when she was doing dishes! It was really bad. I am seeing a common thread here (even if it is a small one), I think we should all go to paper plates for a week in honor of your bravery!
Post a Comment