Thursday, September 10, 2009

Xel-ha

While we were in Mexico, we went to Xel-ha. According to Wikipedia, "The park is centered around the natural inlet and lagoon, which is promoted as one of the main attractions of the park that forms with the flow of the river through rocks mixing salty waters with fresh underground water currents.
The inlet of Xel-Há is a natural aquarium where hundreds of species inhabit; such as tropical fish and an abundant flora. In the park there is also a turtle reserve, where research is constantly carried out to learn more about marine life and contribute with the ecological maintenance of the area.
A shark fence extends across the lagoon's entrance, and the public is permitted to swim and
snorkel in the lagoon. Underwater the limestone has been eroded into a myriad of small caves and grottos.
A variety of aquatic-based activities are offered by the theme park, including snorkelling, scuba diving, and
swimming with dolphins.I used a disposable underwater camera. Here are my pictures from it. "


We had so much fun. It was so exciting to swim with all these animals. Sorry these aren't the best pictures. It made me lovemy digital. I hadn't used film in a long time.



This was actually the last picture I took. About 3 mins. after this, a sting ray was spotted. I watched him for a super long time. I was basically right above him. If I put my feet down to stand, I would have stepped on him. He was the color of sand and he had fish on his back. It was wonderful.



This fish swam circles around John's hand. That was awesome.



We saw so many beautiful fish.




Speaking of beautiful fish, oh wait, that is me. Ha ha. I was a great snorkler. John wasn't a huge fan, but I could have done it all day.



Ummm, fish maybe?





I was trying to use my computer to zoom up so you could see me jumping off this super high cliff but I couldnt get it to blog after I zoomed in. Oh well. I was really scared to do it. John wanted me to go first because he knew I would chicken out. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. You look down and see rocks and more rocks. I am very valuable you know. So John went. He was a bit scared, he even forgot to yell something funny. Then it was my turn again. I was so sacred, but I thought, "How many times will I get to cliff jump in Mexico, so I did it. I was too scared to even scream (which is very surprising for me). It was quite the experience.

Here is John jumping off. What a stud.



This is john swimming through this thing I forgot what it is called. It is like a cave of branches. There was a long way to the ground under us. A bit freaky, but really neat.

(Sorry, this picture is sideways)
You can tell my dad still has a talen for regular film because the pictures he took of us on a rope swing turned out great. The one I ttook of him is awful. Which is sad. I was a bit hesitant to do the rope because I have no upper arm strenth (Go figure, with carrying kids all day, you would think I would be buff ;) I had just played on a rope swing at raging waters and I just kind of plopped. I told them I would just plop, so not to laugh. So when dad did it, he just did this drag and plop. It was so funny, I wish I had a better picture. But hey, did it!!! What a brave Grandpa. ( I just re-read what I wrore, and it doesn't make sense and I have a 2 year old putting my shoes on her lap to take her for a walk so I can't figure out how to have it make sense. Sorry.

Yes, I look goofy, I just plop. But I did it a few times and I did have fun. Love the look on my face.

See, Dad's pictures are so much better. John was quite the Tarzan.

There were so many igaunas. They are like squirrels here in Utah. They were just everywhere. One was even walking on the path by John for a while.

There was one picture that didn't turn out because of the lighting. John and I were in a cave. too much fun.


My mom, the floater.

John, another floater.

Too bad the camera didn't capture all the beautiful colors.

We got our picture taken with these crazy creatures.

tons of hammocks, I was too busy to relax on one though.



So, John and I walked on a rope. (pictures are coming up). I thought it would be a good idea to hang my mask (rented from zel-ha $20 to replace) on my life vest. Unbeknownest to me, the life vests were a little on the crappy side and didn't latch all the way. So as I fell off the rope, my vest came undone and my mask fell down into the water. I found it, but it was down far. Then . . . Daddy Fish to the rescue. Dad swam down 18-20 feet and just snagged it up. Wow, what a dad won't do for his daughter. Yeah dad, thanks alot.


This is John falling off the rope thing. I didn't even make it that far. It was hard.


John starting out.


John the snorkeler. Sorry it is sideways.


This is the thing I couldn't remember the name of earlier. The first time we went through, we did it on rafts. John and I fought the whole way, it was uncomfortable for John, (I was just laying on him, I was fine) and it is a lagoon so there was no currant, you had to push yourselves. We had people running into us because we couldn't make it go. We enjoyed snorkeling much more.

We rode bikes to get in the rafts. Mom and Dad rode a bus/train thing. It was hot, but fun.
Well, there you go. The Mexico pictures are done. Have a great day.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That all looks like so much fun. And as for taking pics of beautiful fish underwater, cameras never do them justice. I took my friend's digital underwater camera thinking it would be awesome on my Keys trip and they aren't much better than a regular disposable camera. You just have to be there, huh? That cove thing looked really cool and so did the rope walking thing...and your rope swinging and cliff jumping is definitely fun! You are so adventurous!!

Jen said...

What an awesome trip, it looks like sooooo much fun!!

Brenda said...

Oh, how I want to go back and just be a "floater"!